JANUARY EARLY WARNING PHASE: ALARM
Drought Situation & EW Phase Classification
- Rainfall report: No amount of rainfall were recorded in Marsabit and Moyale Stations.
- Vegetation condition; Pasture and browse condition is fair in agro pastoral livelihood and poor in most areas in pastoral livelihood zone as confirmed by VCI which shows severe vegetation deficit for County.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
- Production indicators; there was total crop failure in agro pastoral livelihood zone. Livestock body condition is fair in agro pastoral livelihood zone and fair to poor in pastoral livelihood for all the species
- Milk production has significantly reduced in all livelihood zones. Livestock Migration patterns is not normal. In and out migration was reported in the County. Livestock deaths as a result of drought have been reported.
- Access indicators; Terms of trade has significantly reduced due to decrease in goat prices. Return distance to water sources for human depict significant increase in January. Milk consumption has decreased especially in all livelihood zones. Cost of water (20 litres) is within normal ranges of Ksh 0-5.
- Utilization Indicators; malnutrition levels in the County was 21.9% children less than 5 years at risk of malnutrition. Coping strategies index has stabilized when compared to last month although still remains above the normal ranges.
Get the full bulletin here..http://www.ndma.go.ke/index.php/component/jdownloads/category/12-marsabit?Itemid=-1